Friday, October 17, 2008

Plugged by a Rock Star....

An English rock star at that!  Please get your mind out of the gutter, my dear reader. It’s not that kind of party!

Earlier this summer in my blog titled, "Random Acts of Idiocy and Kindness"; I detailed the adventures and—ahem—indiscretions of my trip to Milwaukee to see one of my favorite bands, Alabama 3. (If you haven’t read it, scroll down.) Within meeting the band and sharing a pint, The Spirit of Love (a.k.a. Orlando Harrison) and I chatted a bit about what I do for a living, and he in turn said, "Maybe I’ll mention you on the site. I’ll make you famous."

Last week, I’m sitting at the computer catching up on email. One email in particular caught my interest: Alabama 3’s monthly e-bulletin. It’s the typical mass email updating fans of the latest and greatest happenings of the band. My particular interest of late is that the band is allowing fans to vote on tracks for an upcoming album. I am more than excited to check out this month’s offerings! One other update catches my interest, The Spirit of Love, has posted a new entry in his monthly column—aptly titled—"The Spirit Speaks". The title of this month’s entry: "Milwaukee: Blackpool With Guns"*. Having been in attendance at that particular show, I’m rather curious to know his take on the city of Milwaukee. I follow the hyperlink in the email to the Alabama 3 website and start with rating this month’s new tracks for the "12 Step Manifesto". Of course, the tracks are great and I immediately download them into my iTunes. Next, I click over to "The Spirit Speaks."

Prior to meeting Orlando in Milwaukee, I regularly enjoyed reading his column on the band’s website. Without a doubt, Mr. Harrison is every bit a talented writer as he is a musician. He also has the added bonus of being English, which (in my opinion) accounts for his skillful ability to turn a phrase like no other. Something I aspire to as writer. I digress….

Sitting on the couch with my laptop, I begin reading his latest installment. Coupled with being in awe of his aforementioned ability to turn a phrase, I chuckle here and there at some of his observations of Milwaukee and the Summerfest grounds workers, the awful Miller Lite backdrop on their particular stage, and their show itself. In the next paragraph, he mentions, "two charming ladies [named Missi and Jessica] who've travelled many miles to see the show." I think to myself, "Hmm…that’s ironic. My name is Missi, and Jess and me drove to see Alabama 3 at Summerfest as well." For a brief moment, I stop reading and like a ton of bricks in slow motion, it hits me: Mr. Harrison is referring to Jess and Me! (I really, truly must be as charming as everyone says I am!)

Bewildered, amused, honored, humbled, and impressed I was so absolutely beside myself I almost choked on my bottled water. I immediately called Jess to tell her. She found the mention of us Orlando’s latest bulletin as entertaining as I did. In his mention of me, he compared me to the character "Matron ‘Mama’ Morton" from the film/Broadway play "Chicago". At this point, I am only vaguely familiar with the musical as a pop culture reference, but know that Queen Latifah played that character in the movie. I very much admire and respect Queen Latifah, but being unacquainted with the musical as whole I wasn’t entirely sure that the likening was a good thing, but I took it as such. Subsequently, I had to borrow the movie from my neighbor so as to ensure that it was an appropriate comparison. My neighbor agreed that it was, and after viewing the movie, I concur.

Orlando did exactly as he said he would! On that note, I send a sincere thanks to you, Mr. Harrison. I am flattered and honored that you not only remembered me, but also mentioned me in your column. You are too kind!

I wonder if he’ll scribe about the subsequent night’s show in Chicago in next month’s installment….


[Note: I’d be remiss in not mentioning the fact that as I’m reading his account of Milwaukee, I was doing so blindly. I was reading simply out of interest for both Orlando’s opinion of the fair city, and because I very much respect him as a writer. Never in my wildest imagination did I ever expect that I would find my name in his bulletin!]

*To read "Milwaukee: Blackpool With Guns" in its entirety, go to: http://www.alabama3.co.uk/en/general_articles/ss_06_10_08

No comments: